* 1 Tbsp. butter, plus 2 Tbsp. for optional garnish
* 1 onion, roughly chopped
* 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 head cauliflower, chopped
* 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
* 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
* 2 cups low-fat milk
* 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley, optional
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat so onions are cooking but not browning, until onions look starchy and a bit creamy, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add cauliflower, stir to combine, cover and cook 3 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until cauliflower is tender to the bite, about 10 minutes.
5. Add milk and cook over medium-low heat until hot.
6. Meanwhile, if you want to add the parsley butter swirl, melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and stir in parsley.
Serve soup hot, with a swirl of parsley butter, if you like.
Baked Brie with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil
* 300 g pkg brie
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 large garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
* 3 tbsp chopped basil
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Using a serrated knife, thinly slice off top rind of the brie and discard. Place in a brie baker or a pie plate. Bake in bottom third of oven until soft, about 10 min.
2. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic, tomatoes and vinegar. Cook until mixture is reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 5 min.
Roast Pork Tenderloin with Brandied Apples and Horseradish Smashed Potatoes
* pork tenderloin, about 500g
* 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 tbsp butter
* red apple, preferably Red Delicious, cored and thinly sliced
* 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
* 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
* 1/8 cup brandy
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Brush pork with Dijon and sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper.
4. Melt butter in same frying pan over medium. Add apples, sugar and rosemary. Cook until apples are tender, 3 to 5 min. Add brandy and boil for 1 min. Slice pork into medallions. Serve with apple mixture.
Horseradish Smashed Potatoes
* 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into small chunks
* 3/4 cup milk
* 3 tbsp horseradish, preferably extra hot
* 1/2 tsp salt
1. Cover potatoes with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Continue boiling until potatoes are very tender, about 25 min.
A scrumptious British Columbia pinot noir. Its flavours are a bouquet of summer berries, cherry, raspberry, mint and plum. This elegant fruitiness echoes and elevates the flavours of pork and apple. Quail's Gate Pinot Noir, British Columbia, $25.