So I finally got myself a slow cooker. I've been meaning to get one for ages, I've heard so much about these wonderful appliances over the years. I bought a slow cooker cookbook last month at Chapters when my Mom was here visiting, knowing I would be getting one of these things in the near future.
Tonight's dinneer was a big success!
There will absolutely be more slow cooker recipes to come.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
- 4-6 chicken thighs, back attached
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
DirectionsPlace chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the garlic, onion, tomatoes, peaches, garbanzo beans, dried apricots, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Pour in the chicken broth. Cook on Low for 5 hours.
Remove the chicken and keep warm. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on High until the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and heat through. Top with fresh cilantro and almonds before serving.Sour Cream Peach Pie
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen peaches
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, stir together the sour cream, white sugar, 1/3 cup flour and almond extract until smooth. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the pie crust to prevent it from getting soggy. Alternate layers of peaches and the sour cream mixture, beginning with a layer of peaches and ending with a layer of sour cream.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for an additional 35 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Set the oven to Broil, and broil for 2 to 3 minutes, until caramelized.
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup fruit juice (I used the peach juice from the cans used in the pie)
- club soda to taste
Slice the orange, lemon, and lime into thin rounds. Pour in the brandy and refrigerate for 2 hours or more. Chill the bottle of red wine, club soda and juice at the same time.